A job in Abilene may be opening up. How do we make a decision?
Let’s say that Ron makes X. I would expect the opening in Abilene to pay 1/2X. Average home price in Houston is $198K. Average in Abilene is $140K. Not 1/2.
We’d get a substantial break on tuition for the youngest munchkin. That would be worth a lot. But not enough to make up for the 1/2 we’d lose. And in four or six years, when he’s finished, we wouldn’t have the cash of that tuition.
I know the job.
I like the people.
We have talked about moving there before.
Hubby could do something different.
I would actually have a job that would pay me decent money for doing 2/3s of what I am doing now.
Not big city.
Have to go to X church.
No real retirement fund gets built there.
Away from my family. (Yes, I know that could be a positive for my immediate family. But it would still be a negative for me.)
You know what? I am doing too much. I think I need to seriously consider cutting back on the school I do next year. Perhaps I should drop English at the SLAC. I’d still have the 2 business courses. But I wouldn’t be working full-time for part-time pay anymore. (Which I am right now.)
Maybe the reason Abilene sounds good is that I wouldn’t be working too much. It’d be more laid back. I could do two conferences and … I don’t have to do two conferences now, but I am. And if we went to Abilene, I couldn’t afford to go.
Gotta think about this.
Why is it so appealing? And is it appealing enough? I don’t want to go after the job and then turn it down if they offer it.
I mean, I could say, if it’s not $X, then I can’t take it. That’d be different than saying, “Oh, you know, I decided I didn’t want to go.”
M says you make the decision with prayer and fasting… I’m not sure when I have time to fast, but I sure have time to pray.
God, do you have a plan here? Would you mind telling me what it is?